Wednesday, December 3, 2008

And I thought not having a washer and dryer was bad...


I have always been a bit obsessive about those real estate flyers you see posted on the street. If I am walking by I will always stop to at least look at the pictures. Now that I am looking for a place to live I will even cross the street to see what is for sale.


Yesterday while I was walking to find some lunch I picked up a flyer for a 2/2 condo in a building called the Penthouse Condominiums. Perfect location - just 4 blocks from work. Unfortunately the flyer advertised "laundry facilities in the building" which is real estate code for the fact the condos don't have washer and dryer hookups. I will live miles out of town before I will go back to lugging my dirty laundry into the basement.

Turns out that not having washers and dryers in the condos is not the worse thing about that condo building. After lunch I returned to work and continued processing the FBI files from the Charles Whitman shootings. And what should catch my eye? Before the building just four block from my work was known as the Penthouse Condominiums it was called the Penthouse Apartments. Penthouse Apartments is where Charles Whitman's mother lived and this is where her son shot her.
I don't remember that being mentioned on the advertising flyer.
------
Photo courtesy of the Austin History Center.

No comments: